The University Library is a central service facility of the LMU.
The Library's main function is the provision of literature and information services to the staff and students of the LMU. In addition it provides an infrastructure enabling the members of the LMU to publish their scholarly works and research data on an open access basis. These data are then available free of charge to users all over the world.
The University Library consists of
- the Zentralbibliothek (Main Library)
- the Zentrale Lehrbuchsammlung (Central Textbook Collection)
- 13 Subject Libraries
- the Library of the Klinikum Großhadern in cooperative partnership
- over 56 additional libraries of the LMU, with all holdings indexed in the online catalogue.
- Total number of media: 4,921,698 (as of 2016), consisting of
- textbooks 187,456
- subscriptions to print journals and newspapers 5,997
- licensed electronic journals 54,757
- e-Books 49,400
- subject-related databases 484
- Publications hosted on the University Libraries repositories (as of 2015), consisting of
- documents on Open Access LMU 19,500
- documents on Elektronische Dissertationen der LMU 11,200
- documents on Munich Personal RePEc Archive (MPRA) 35,200
If you would like to learn more about the services and activities of the University Library you may like to take a look at our annual reports.