If you need literature not available from any Munich library you can order it through the interlibrary loans service (ILL).
You can order the following on interlibrary loan
- books (monographs) for loan
- copies of journal articles
- copies of articles from books (collected editions)
You will not be able to order the following on ILL
- literature held by Munich libraries, even if out on loan or for reference only
- final theses for Master's, Bachelor, Diploma and Magister courses, or other examinations
- paperbacks in print costing less than 15 Euro
- current and recent travel guides and books with purely practical content, such as light fiction, hobby literature, textbooks and popular non-fiction
The interlibrary loans service of the University Library is available to all students and staff of the LMU. All other users, such as private individuals and students of other universities, are asked to use the interlibrary loans service of the Bavarian State Library or of their own university library.
- You have not been able to find the desired title in the University Library online catalogue.
- Log in with your library card number and password using the link "log on" in the top right-hand corner of the online catalogue web page.
- Click on the link "Modify selection of databases" under "Database selection". You will get back to the start page of the online catalogue with your saved search inquiry.
- Go to "Database selection" on the bottom of the start page and select "Bavarian Library Network". This will expand your search to include Gateway Bayern, a database containing the holdings of all the academic libraries in Bavaria.
- If the title is found, select the tab "Get document". Click on "Further options", then on "open interlibrary loan order form" to submit your order.
- If there are no matches for your search using the extended database selection, go to the tab "Additional services" in the top menu bar of the online catalogue and click on the link "Ill etc.", then on "Interlibrary loan". Enter the details of the required title in the search form and submit your interlibrary request.
You be notified by e-mail as soon as your order arrives in the University Library. You can collect your interlibrary loans order in the Circulation Area of the Zentralbibliothek (Main Library) on presentation of your library card. Copies of journal articles can be collected at the Service Counter in the Zentralbibliothek (Main Library).
It is not possible to say exactly how long it will take for your book to arrive. Deliveries from other Bavarian libraries usually take 1 to 2 weeks, from libraries in other federal states 2 to 3 weeks.
Interlibrary loans within Germany
Ordering printed books is free of charge. Please see the University Library's List of Service Fees for details of charges made for photocopies.
University Library List of Service Fees (in German, 48 kB)
International interlibrary loans
Higher administration and postal charges may apply. For more details please contact the address for the Interlibrary Loans service displayed in the right-hand service bar of this web page.
Detailed information on the University Library's interlibrary loans service
(in German) (157 kB)
Interlibrary Loans Service flyer (in German) (140 kB)