If you need literature not available from any Munich library, you can order it through the interlibrary loans service (ILL).
You can order the following on interlibrary loan
- books (monographs) for loan
- copies of journal articles
- copies of articles from books (collected editions)
You will not be able to order the following on ILL
- literature held by Munich libraries, even if out on loan or for reference only
- final theses for Master's, Bachelor, Diploma and Magister courses, or other examinations
- paperbacks in print costing less than 15 Euro
- DIN-norms and patent specifications
- current and recent travel guides and books with purely practical content, such as light fiction, hobby literature, textbooks and popular non-fiction
The interlibrary loans service of the University Library is available to all students and staff of the LMU. All other users, such as private individuals and students of other universities, are asked to use the interlibrary loans service of the Bavarian State Library or of their own university library.top
- You have not been able to find the desired title in the University Library online catalogue.
- Log in with your library card number and password using the link "log on" in the top right-hand corner of the online catalogue web page.
- Click on the link “Advanced Search”. You will get back to the start page of the online catalogue with your saved search inquiry.
- Check the box “Bibliotheksverbund Bayern” under "Database selection". You are now searching via Gateway Bayern, a database containing the holdings of all the academic libraries in Bavaria.
- Once you have found the book, select the tab "Get document". Click on "open interlibrary loan order form" to submit your order.
- If the title is found, select the tab "Get document". Click on "Further options", then on "open interlibrary loan order form" to submit your order.
- If there are no matches for your search using the extended database selection, go to the tab "Additional services" in the top menu bar of the online catalogue and click on the link "Ill etc.", then on "Interlibrary loan". Enter the details of the required title in the search form and submit your interlibrary request.top
It is not possible to say exactly how long it will take for your book to arrive. Deliveries from other Bavarian libraries usually take one to two weeks, from libraries in other federal states two to three weeks.
If your interlibrary loan request cannot be met, you will be notified by e-mail.top
You will be notified by e-mail as soon as your order arrives in the University Library. You can collect your interlibrary loans order in the Circulation Area of the Zentralbibliothek (Main Library) on presentation of your library card. Copies of journal articles can be collected at the Service Counter in the Zentralbibliothek (Main Library).
Your interlibrary book loans are listed in your library account under “loans”. You can see a list of all copies of journal articles that you have ordered by clicking on the Online catalogue tab “Additional services” and then on “Copies via Interlibrary loan”.
You can usually extend the loan period of interlibrary loans in your library account. The lending library specifies the loan period and possible usage restrictions (e.g., a medium may only be usable in the reading room, or must not be reproduced).top
Interlibrary loans within Germany
Ordering printed books is free of charge. Photocopies are usually charged at a nominal fee of 1,50 Euro per order. For special orders, lending libraries may charge additional costs.
International interlibrary loans
Higher administration and postal charges may apply. For more details please contact the the Interlibrary Loans team (via the address displayed on the right-hand side).top